Join me, as I Discover the WAY, through the TRUTH, towards the LIFE.

Jun 12, 2013

God and Stability

Psalm 15-16

A psalm of David.

Lord, who may dwell in your sacred tent?
    Who may live on your holy mountain?
.........
Whoever does these things
    will never be shaken.


Background: I for one want to be a person who is steady. Not someone who is in constant panic with the cares of this world. The ever dwindling economy, society, morality and health. Is there anything man can rely upon? That which will keep them in peace for their own lives and the lives of their children. I like security, you know the kind where you don't have to worry about your future. In Psalm 15 David talks about the unmoved man who does all the right things. The way God dealt with the lives of the people during David's time is slightly different from the times we are in now (after receiving the option of salvation through Jesus Christ-God's  only Son). They had to live righteously by law before God so God would be justified in acting on their behalf. People had to learn to choose the right acts to be in right standing with God. I cannot say I have met a man who can easily do all the works mentioned in Psalm 15 verses 2-5 Psalm 15
We must remember, the man behind this Psalm, is also recorded in the Bible as a wife-stealer, liar, evil conspirator. How could he ever make it through these verses? 

Lesson

                   He knew his frailty too and so he cries out in Psalm 16 "Keep me safe Oh my God..." for he had done something, that God loved, David's heart
  • Realized his sinfulness- “You are my Lord; apart from you I have no good thing.”
  • Realized his insecurity -"Lord, you alone are my portion and my cup; you make my lot secure."
  • Realized his feeble counsel-"I will praise the Lord, who counsels me; even at night my heart instructs me."
  • Realized his instability-"I keep my eyes always on the Lord. With him at my right hand, I will not be shaken. "
Conclusion: So here is our security  - Jesus Christ. What we cannot achieve through our good actions Jesus has already paid for and those who have believed in His sacrifice have entered into "Grace-period" not that we may make use of this Grace to see how close to the edge of heaven we can dwell at, but so we can strive through the constant renewing and working out of our salvation, to get as close to God's throne room, which our Lord Jesus has made available to us through the rending of the curtains of the Most Holy Place. Above all we have a Promise Keeping God  who says 
 Hebrews 8:10
For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says the Lord: I will imprint My laws upon their minds, even upon their innermost thoughts and understanding, and engrave them upon their hearts; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people.
God will Himself help us when we have decided to seek Him and His Righteousness.

No comments :