What the Psalmist does in a time of distress?
- Calls God in Prayer(v1)
- Offers "right" sacrifices(v5)-Its easy to do the right thing when everyone is doing the right thing. But when everyone is doing the wrong thing, it can be pretty difficult to do the right thing when someone has wronged you or you are in a tough situation. Hence the bible refers to it as a "sacrifice". When it costs us to do the right thing.
- Trusts the Lord(v5)
What God does for His people in times of distress?
- Frees his people-"v1 You have freed me when I was hemmed in ". The situation was pretty tight(hemming) and God frees his people
- Enlarges or Increases-"v1...enlarged me when I was in distress". Did you see that. God enlarges people even in the middle of distress. Do you remember how the Israelites multiplied exceedingly in the time of slavery and when the egyptian king was killing infant boys!!! Thats the kind of God we have.
- Sets apart His people-"v3 set apart for Himself [and given distinction to] him who is godly [the man of loving-kindness]. " In the midst of adversity people will still be able to recognise who you belong to. God shows in marvellous ways to other people, that You belong to Him.
- Joy and Peace-"v7You have put more joy and rejoicing in my heart than [they know] when their wheat and new wine have yielded abundantly." Even if it may seem like we've got nothing in distress, our God is able to fill our lives with such joy and peace it values much more than the seeming abundance the enemy has.
Conclusion: What have we got to do in times of distress? In the midst of distress when you think life can not get any worse. Nothing seems to work. Right then and there our Living God is at work in our lives, IF ONLY WE WILL SEE, how we've been set apart(shown distinctively as His kid), how our boundaries have been enlarged and how we're at peace. The psalmist ends this chapter wonderfully."v8 In peace I will both lie down and sleep, for You, Lord, alone make me dwell in safety and confident trust." Be so sure and confident in the Lord that He is able to perfect everything that concerns you. He never does an incomplete project. He who has started the good work in you WILL bring it to completion.