Join me, as I Discover the WAY, through the TRUTH, towards the LIFE.

Jun 15, 2006

Do Good

Everything that I have read about David, in the Bible, somehow makes me wonder if that man knew the New Testament. He chose to do good no matter what other people did to him. Followed God whole heartedly, no matter what happened. He didn't care when his wife despised him when she saw him dance before God. Now in 2 Samuel 9 David seeks Jonathan's family so that he could show kindness to them. Mephibosheth is found, a lame man, he thinks he's a dead dog when compared to David's kindness and generosity. However David showed kindness to Jonathan and did not hold Saul's unkindness in his heart. Also when I see Jonathan's life, he was investing good works himself.

Lessons:
  • We're urged to do good- "16And do not forget to do good and to share with others, for with such sacrifices God is pleased. "(Hebrews 13:16). Our good works don't go unnoticed.44But I tell you: Love your enemies[a] and pray for those who persecute you, 45that you may be sons of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 46If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? 47And if you greet only your brothers, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? (Matthew 5:44-47)
  • How can anything good come from us??-Yes, we might think so like Paul"Romans 7:18 "I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out."..David did too.."Psalm 16:2 "I said to the LORD, "You are my Lord; apart from you I have no good thing." The only good that can come out of our lives is through our God."Philippians 2:13 "for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose"

Conclusion-God doesn't leave us at the demand of doing good works, but He says He will equip us to do good.2 Corinthians 9:8 "And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work" We are left without excuse for not doing good, if we had all the equipment to do good and we did not. David was now king, he had the power to do good or to do evil. Oh he could have thought, yeah, now I have power..I must kill all my enemies first as long as I have this power. But he thought of doing good. God enabled him to think good, because he was constantly depending on God's words and statues and precepts and teachings. He wanted to know ALL that God could help him know to be closely connected to God. The longest psalm written, talks of longings to stay so connected to the Word of God that no one can uproot him.

Dear Father in heaven, I see and understand, now that David's whole life is in front of me as an example, how important Your Words are for my life. There is nothing good in me that I can do, the only good thing I have is You and only You can help me share Your goodness to the ones around. Give me the courage to do good, not only to those who are good to me, but also to those who are not. Thereby learning the kind of sacrifice that pleases You, even my life. Amen

No comments :