David was man, who loved to help people. He loved to do right works, and made sure, his life was connected to God. He did everything with God's approval, and so he prospered because the Lord Almighty was always with him
In 2 Samuel 9 we see how David sought for, anyone left from Jonathan's house, to show them kindness.Mephibosheth was found, and David took such good care of him, that he established that, Mephibosheth should dine at the king's place, forever."7 "Don't be afraid," David said to him, "for I will surely show you kindness for the sake of your father Jonathan. I will restore to you all the land that belonged to your grandfather Saul, and you will always eat at my table." "
Lessons I learnt
- We did not choose God, God chose us to be His children, the choice we have is whether we accept God as a choice too-Mephibosheth did not choose David to help him out, but David sought for Mephibosheth and blessed him similarly, we had no idea to choose God, without knowing him, yet God knows us and saves us from our terrible and dipressing situations.
- Our current circumstances should not matter our relationship with God-No matter what type of person you are, or what shape your life is in, God knows our situations, he knows we've been left to fend for oursleves,by our own choice. And he wants to help, the choice we have, is to either receive God's guidance and help for our situation or work without Him in our lives. For with God all things are possible. God does not make guess work about our livesHe has it all well planned, and a believer clearly knows where his help comes from, what his or her God would do for him. God doesn't help us because we're in trouble, but because He loves us and wants to bless us.
- God doesn't just have an idea or a good thought of saving and keeping us in Him, but God longs to try to meet with us to fulfil those plans- "3 The king asked, "Is there no one still left of the house of Saul to whom I can show God's kindness?" Ziba answered the king, "There is still a son of Jonathan; he is crippled in both feet." 4 "Where is he?" the king asked. Ziba answered, "He is at the house of Makir son of Ammiel in Lo Debar."For David, helping Jonathan's descendents was not a great thought, but he sincerely did want to help him. God doesn't have a good plan for us, but He seeks to intercept our lives and wants us to live out His perfect and pleasing plan for our lives."Isaiah 30:18 Yet the LORD longs to be gracious to you; he rises to show you compassion. For the LORD is a God of justice. Blessed are all who wait for him!"
- Accepting God's will without a doubt-If Mephibosheth, would have doubted, whether David really meant to help him, he would have never entered the king's palace. Or if Mephibosheth would have thought, who am I to deserve the king's attention, he would not have gone ahead with David's request. Surely we are nothing, no bodies to deserve such wonderful saving grace from God, yet God chose us to show His kindness, because He loves us. 9 He will not always accuse, nor will he harbor his anger forever; 10 he does not treat us as our sins deserve or repay us according to our iniquities. 11 For as high as the heavens are above the earth, so great is his love for those who fear him;"(Psalm 103:9-11). When we accept God's kindness towards us, we accept God's love.
- Accepting God's plan for our lives, is a key to success and a good life- Soon after Mephibosheth accepted David's plan to keep him at his palace, "And Mephibosheth lived in Jerusalem, because he always ate at the king's table, and he was crippled in both feet." Now thats a wonderful life, that Mephibosheth received from David. He wouldn't have to worry about food, clothing or shelter any more. The king was taking care of it all. Once we've accepted God's plan in our lives, all the rest gets taken care of. Matthew 6:33But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well." Now I think, seeking God's kingdom, also means that we want God to be our King, and for God to be our King, we should be willing to be His subjects and the rest of the things will be added to us. Its not about making other people somehow get into the kingdom, but living the kingdom-like life so that others may see and want what the kingdom of God has. I think that would make evangelisation so easy. We've just got to live in obedience to our King Lord Jesus and everything will be added to us.
Conclusion:There were shortcomings in Mephibosheth, yet David did not consider those as a hindrance to show his kindness. Mephibosheth was lame and might have been misreable for not being able to move around freely, but David's love and concern for him, changed Mephibosheth's life forever. So also, God Himself, has been trying to look out for any who are righteous, who are willing to follow God's will, who are willing to be people of His kingdom. People who are willing to abide by the rules of God's Kingdom and thereby, be blessed, not only for themselves but also for their entire generations to come.