Join me, as I Discover the WAY, through the TRUTH, towards the LIFE.

Feb 21, 2006

Crossing the Jordan


As I read the account of the crossing of Jordan river. I see God and Joshua working like partners. Joshua is no longer an assistant to Moses, he's now having his own experience with God. I have read in Joshua more than once now, God encouraging Joshua time and time again."Be strong and courageous...be strong and courageous". I was wondering what was it, that could have made Joshua feel weak or discouraged.

I wonder
  • Was it because all this while he was having a mentor and now he's on his own
  • Was it because he felt inadequate, since he had seen Moses work with God and perform amazing miracles and he might have thought, "I don't think I can be as good as Moses"
  • Could it be that he was afraid that the Israelites would not listen to him.
  • Or be overwhelmed by the number of people he had to lead

We all feel burdened by a lot of negatives when it comes to doing something for the Lord. However when I read Joshua's triumphs and how he worked, I find that he slowly learnt that when God chooses someone for His work, He also equips them with the power to do it.

In the crossing of Jordan, God demonstrates His mighty power while Joshua is leading the Israelites. It is written in Joshua 3:7 "And the LORD said to Joshua, "Today I will begin to exalt you in the eyes of all Israel, so they may know that I am with you as I was with Moses." God encouraged Joshua.

Then I found something similar that we have received as a promise- When Jesus sent out the disciples to spread the gospel of Good News to all the world "Then Jesus came to them and said, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in[a] the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."(Matthew 28:16-20)

Just as Jesus gave His disciples strength to spread the Good News, He is with us too when we live for Jesus. Let's find strength in our Lord Jesus as we go forth, live the life God called us to live, do what God called us to do and lets be a blessing and encouragement to someone through our lives.

No comments :