Join me, as I Discover the WAY, through the TRUTH, towards the LIFE.

Jan 22, 2007

What am I doing with my blessings?

Without much ado, I move on from this victory Hezekiah received from God, over the tyranny of the Assyrian king. I skip over the incident of healing that God worked out for Hezekiah, when he was almost on the verge of death. God healed him and extended 15yrs of his life. As a proof of this miracle that God would do for him, God moved the shadow 10 steps behind, on Hezekiah's request.
I now move on to one very disappointing episode from Hezekiah's life. Hearing about his illness, envoys from Babylon sent their regards and gifts for him. Hezekiah received those messengers from Babylon and showed him everything he had, from his storehouses full of gold and silver, tohis armory with all battle equipment. He showed them everything in his palace. The word of the Lord then came to Hezekiah "16 Then Isaiah said to Hezekiah, "Hear the word of the LORD : 17 The time will surely come when everything in your palace, and all that your fathers have stored up until this day, will be carried off to Babylon. Nothing will be left, says the LORD. 18 And some of your descendants, your own flesh and blood, that will be born to you, will be taken away, and they will become eunuchs in the palace of the king of Babylon."

Notice Hezekiah's reply 19 "The word of the LORD you have spoken is good," Hezekiah replied. For he thought, "Will there not be peace and security in my lifetime?"

Though Hezekiah lived an amazingly close life with the Lord, obeying the Lord and was even blessed, was miraculously healed and had an extension from an almost ended life, to 15more years, he was a selfish believer. As long as all goes well during the time i live, I am ok!!!

Lesson I learnt

  • A good believer not only lives a blessed life, but "is " a blessing to others-Abraham,Isaac, Jacob and Joseph, they all followed the Lord God, but they also were blessings to their descendants. Am I seeking to be blessed, not just for myself, but that I can extend God's blessings in my life to others?
Conclusion:It was clear to me, that Hezekiah loved his life more than loving others. He did right in following God and he did receive God's blessings for his faithfulness and devotion, but his name does not receive mention when God identifies Himself as the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. Or when God says "For my son David's sake I will do this.....". Remember the time, when David was so very grateful for all the blessings God would give his descendants. Hezekiah was happy with the blessing being just for him.

As I read this part of Hezekiah's life, I was reminded of a time in my life, when I wanted to get by on God's blessings, atleast I would be blessed, atleast I could live well and my living well was all that mattered to show others of God's love for "me". Well I learnt, in order for them to see or experience God's love, I had to share my blessings, it wasn't enough for others to see what I was being blessed with, rather what I was doing with those blessings!!!

"1If I speak in the tongues[a] of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames,[b] but have not love, I gain nothing." 1 Corinthians 13:1-3


No comments :