Here's what I found in Joshua's farewell message
- Hope for the future-"The LORD your God himself will drive them out of your way. He will push them out before you, and you will take possession of their land, as the LORD your God promised you"(Joshua 23:5)
- Encouragement to build that future-"The LORD has driven out before you great and powerful nations; to this day no one has been able to withstand you. 10 One of you routs a thousand, because the LORD your God fights for you, just as he promised." (Joshua 23:9-10)
- Command to follow the Lord-"Be very strong; be careful to obey all that is written in the Book of the Law of Moses, without turning aside to the right or to the left. 7 Do not associate with these nations that remain among you; do not invoke the names of their gods or swear by them. You must not serve them or bow down to them. 8 But you are to hold fast to the LORD your God, as you have until now." (Joshua 23:6-8)
- Warning for disobedience-"But if you turn away and ally yourselves with the survivors of these nations that remain among you and if you intermarry with them and associate with them, 13 then you may be sure that the LORD your God will no longer drive out these nations before you. Instead, they will become snares and traps for you, whips on your backs and thorns in your eyes, until you perish from this good land, which the LORD your God has given you" (Joshua 23:12-13)
- Remembrance of what the Lord has done-" You know with all your heart and soul that not one of all the good promises the LORD your God gave you has failed. Every promise has been fulfilled; not one has failed." Joshua 23:14
There is a popular saying, "A burnt child dreads fire", now, if the burnt child forgets the lesson he learnt from getting burnt, he will get burnt again, because he does not analyse how fire burnt him and what consequences he faced. So also, when we fail to analyse our lives of how God worked, during our obedience and our disobedience-times of glory, times of shame we'll start failing too. Life's lessons teach us every day, what to do what not to do. Let's analyse our lives, we and somebody else may a learn a lot from it.